We have provided several methods for inserting and typing the Squared Symbol or the 2 Square Sign [²]. You can use these methods to type this symbol in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint anywhere on your PC.
You can use a Mac keyboard or a Windows keyboard. In addition to learning the Squared Alt code shortcut, all the easy methods will be covered as well.
Let’s begin right away.
Guide for Typing the Squared symbol [²]
If you are using a Mac or PC, press Option + 00B2 to type the 2 Squared symbols.
Windows users should follow these steps. You can do this by holding the Alt key. Then using the numeric keypad on your keyboard, enter 0178.
00B2, however, is the MS Word code for this symbol. Choose it. To obtain the Squared sign then simply press Alt + X after typing and selecting it.
Below you will find everything necessary to type the symbol on Windows and Mac. The Squared Symbol shortcut is also included.
How to Type 2 Squared Symbol
You can easily create the Squared sign using Word/Excel on either Windows or Mac using the above information.
You may be dissatisfied with this quick help, however. Continue reading to learn how to obtain the Squared symbol in detail.
The symbol can be typed anywhere in your Word/Excel/PowerPoint document on your Mac or PC.
A number of keys on the keyboard function both under Windows and under Mac OS.
Thus, symbols are immediately available on the keyboard as second keys. In order to insert these symbols into your work, just press two or more keys simultaneously.
For example, Shift + 7 will display the Ampersand (&).
On the other hand, other symbols do not appear on the keyboard as second keys. Typing is difficult due to this. Two-squared symbol [²] is among them.
You will have difficulty typing if you have to use some of these symbols frequently in your work.
It need not be difficult, however. You should especially read this step-by-step guide now.
Insert the 2 Squared Symbol in Word/Excel
I will explain all the different methods you can use to type or insert this symbol onto any Windows or Mac PC in the following sections.
The following methods will be presented in a couple of minutes. Whenever the need arises, you can use 2 Squared (2) to obtain any other symbols.
Pressing the Alt key and typing 0178 or 253 alt codes on the numeric keypad is a quick guide. Option + 00B2 is also an option on Mac.
The following are the detailed descriptions of the methods without any further ado.
Squared Symbol ² Shortcuts for Windows and Mac
Option + 00B2 is the Squared Symbol shortcut for Mac.
Several shortcuts are available in Windows, but some only work with Microsoft Word.
It’s possible to use the Squared Sign with all Windows programs by using a Windows shortcut. The shortcut is Alt+0178, which is the alt code.
In Microsoft Word, you can use 00B2, Alt X, to select the Squared Symbol. Microsoft Word is the only application that works with this.
Following are the instructions for using this on Windows:
- Insert the insertion pointer where it belongs.
- Press 00B2 on your keyboard. You should then press Alt + X.
- In this case, you will find the squared symbol at the pointer where you are inserted.
The following steps will show you how to use the Squared symbol shortcut for Mac:
- The insertion pointer should be placed where the symbol is to be inserted.
- Let’s use the Mac keyboard. Hold Option and 00B2 at the same time.
Your Mac PC will automatically insert the symbol with this shortcut.
To type the squared symbol on a keyboard, I’ll show you how to use the Squared Symbol Alternate Code.
Using Squared Symbol Alt Code
0178 or 253 is the Alt Code for the Squared (2) Symbol.
The code for a given symbol in Word can be used to insert a symbol into your document. “Alt code” refers to this code.
You can type this symbol on your keyboard using the Alt code described above by following the steps below:
- By pressing the numeric keypad key, you can access the numeric keypad. On laptops without a numeric keypad, press Fn + NumLk keys to activate Num Lock.
- Hold down the Alt key. Use the numeric keypad to enter 0178.
- If you have pressed down the [Alt] key, release it after entering the Alt code.
Within seconds of releasing the Alt Key, you should see the Squared (2) symbol in your document.
Copy and Paste the Squared Symbol
The Squared symbol can be copied and pasted from the box below.
The copy-and-paste method is my favorite way to insert symbols. It’s easy to use this method.
You just need to type the symbol into Google. From the search result, copy the text. Whenever you need to do so, you can copy and paste the symbol into your document.
You can copy this symbol to your clipboard from the box above.
The symbol, or any other symbol on Windows, can also be copied another way. A character map of the Windows operating system is used.
Follow these steps to use the character map to copy and paste any symbol.
- Click on the Start button to find the Character map app.
- Search results will include the Character map app. Launch it by clicking on it.
- A Character Map window will appear. Expand the window for more advanced options by checking the Advance View checkbox.
- Enter Superscript Two in the search box in the Advanced View section.
- Your selected symbol has now been added to the Character map. Select it by double-clicking. When you click the Characters to copy box, you will see the symbol appear. Multiple symbols can be selected and copied simultaneously.
- Copy the symbol after selecting it. Copy the text.
- Change to the MS Word, Excel, or PowerPoint document where the symbol is needed. Ctrl + V is used to paste.
In Windows, you can use the Character Map to copy and paste the Squared sign in this way.
Using the Insert Symbol Dialog Box
As opposed to shortcuts, this method requires more work. However, it’s fairly straightforward.
If you copy and paste the symbol once into your document, you can always use it again in your work whenever you need it.
Here is a step-by-step guide on how to insert a Square Sign in Word using the insert symbol dialog box.
- Select the Insert tab.
- Click the Symbol button under the Insert tab. Select More Symbols.
The Symbol dialog box will appear after these few clicks.
- Locate the Symbol you want to insert.
The Square symbol is easy to locate in the Symbols window by looking at the bottom part of the window. In the field named Character code, type 00B2. After entering the code, you will be able to select the Squared symbol you wish to use.
- Press the Insert button.
If you double-click on the symbol, the symbol will be inserted into your document.
- Click the Close button.
Using the Insert Symbol dialog in Word, you can insert the 2 squared symbols in this way.
These are some ways to type or insert the Squared symbol in Word/Excel. It doesn’t matter whether or not you use the keyboard.
My favorite method is using the copy and paste method followed by the shortcuts. The Alt Code method also comes simple.
Comment below if you have any questions or comments about this Squared sign guide.
Thank you for reading.